Friday, February 1, 2008

Friday Magic Madness

Most of us find the expression TGIF as trite. But for me, I want to shout out TGIF every friday. Not because I like to celebrate the Juan Tamad in me, but because of this GUILTY pleasure called Friday Magic Madness on FM's Magic 89.9.
I seldom listen to the Magic on weekdays, if it weren't for Grace Lee. I like listening to 80's music, because, that defines my growing up years. When I am in my teens and everything is so simple. Heck, I don't care if today's generation considers OMD's Secret as Baduy, or Prince's When Doves Cry as weird. I like listening to them.
Take Mitch, my friend at work, she is 10 years younger than me, but she listens everytime to Magic 89.9 every fridays, and even on Monster's Riot every wednesdays. Or how about Dins, also a coworker, she was born in the 80's and grew up in the 90's but she knows the lyrics and can sing Cure's In Between Days.
To those Gen Z'ers who think that 80's music isn't cool, well it is not. Check out the "new" music that's been coming out these days. Some of them are revivals.
I never thought that American Idol would do music sets that pay tribute to Bon Jovi or Heart? If it weren't for those bands, you would not see Blake Lewis sing You Give Love A Bad Name or Carrie Underwood doing Alone?
Who says 80's is dead? Check out Madonna, she was a product of the 80's but she is still here.
Sure, there are some icons of the 80's that deserve to be forgotten. But the music still rocks!
Have a nice day folks!

No comments: