Sunday, December 25, 2011

An Alternative Celebration of 2011 Christmas

Christmas 2011. I woke up at 5:30 in the morning, having slept for 6 hours. Having nothing to do and the weather seems to be perfect for riding, I got dressed and headed out towards Silang Cavite.
My mind was fixed to go to Aling Pina's to eat arroz caldo.
I found this Nativity scene somewhere in Brgy Inchican. Made of drift wood and wrapped in different colored garments, the design is minimalist

I reached the foot of Cardiac Hill at around 8:25am.

Top of Cardiac Hill overlooking Laguna Lake. I can't believe a week earlier, I was on the other side of that Lake, 45 kms away from where I was when I took this picture.

I took a rest at Vic's Buco Stop to drink buco juice. Naturally good for your health. Even better than commercially available sports drink in the market.


Aling Pina's was closed for the day, I had to have a new destination. I quickly decided to head for Tagaytay as it was only around 8 kms from Aling Pina's.
Silang Cavite is a good destination for recreational mountain bikers. It offers cool weather, great view and friendly folks who are used to seeing bikers, greeting them "good morning" regardless of the time of day
In Brgy Bucal, there are a number of farms that grow lettuce, fresh veggies and fruits that thrive on cooler and at an altitude of a few hundred meters above sea level.


Looking towards the west, I saw a lonely coconut tree that stood defiantly against the cool northeast wind.


My ever-dependable bike deserves her picture taken.

Hey, not to be outdone, I had my picture taken too, though with a mask covering my face to keep the Sun's rays at bay. At an altitude of about 500 meters above sea level, the air is so cool, you never bother to shade yourself from the heat. But it is not the heat that fries your skin, it's the UV rays.

I finally reached Tagaytay City, the view of the Taal Volcano never ceases to amaze me everytime.

It is almost 11:15am when I decided to head towards Sta Rosa. The nicest and easiest part of MTBiking is the return trip home, with minimal pedaling effort.
I reached Nuvali around 11:50 am. I saw another Nativity Scene in Valenzia Crown  Asia
Trip Stats:
Total distance: 51.84 km (32.2 mi)
Total time: 4:11:02
Moving time: 4:08:49
Average speed: 12.39 km/h (7.7 mi/h)
Average moving speed: 12.50 km/h (7.8 mi/h)
Max speed: 33.35 km/h (20.7 mi/h)
Min elevation: 52 m (170 ft)
Max elevation: 626 m (2053 ft)
Elevation gain: 608 m (1995 ft)
Max grade: 6 %
Min grade: -3 %
Recorded: Sun Dec 25 07:33:47 GMT+08:00 2011
Activity type: cycling
Route: Google Maps
Map My Tracks

I wouldn't have my Christmas any other way to help divert my longing for my family.

No comments: