Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Bike Tech: Epicon Fork Review

The Epicon Air Fork has quite a good following among mountain bikers. It is widely regarded as bang for the buck fork in the market. Produced by bicycle parts maker SR-Suntour Cycling, the model year2011 Epicon is sold for around PhP 6000.
Features of the Fork:
Travel - 120mm
Spring System - Air / Hydraulic Speed-lock w/rebound adjust
Weight - less than 2kg
Brake - Disc brakes IS mount

Assessment:
This is my first air sprung fork after years of using coil forks. My first impression is that it gives my bike a plusher ride. It absorbs small bumps better than the Dart 1 previously installed in my bike.
This fork has gone through at least 3000kms since it was installed on April 2011. The air pressure was set to 90psi and has never leaked air since. I used my bike 60% road and 40% trails, occasionally doing gutter high drops and going through rocks, single tracks, hard packed dirt roads and potholes. Overall, this fork is value for money. The Epicon is the poor man's Fox fork. I would definitely recommend this to the recreational mountain biker.