Saturday, November 3, 2012

Bike Tech: Shimano Deore XT Crank Review

I have a friend who installed a Shimano Deore XT Crank on his bike. He has been using this for almost two years. We are on the 50th km of our 70km ride to Tagaytay when I heard a loud metallic crack from my friend's bike. At first, I thought he hit a metallic plate on the road but to our horror, we saw that his bike's crank failed.

The HollowTech cylindrical axle broke into three pieces
I am not a structural engineer but isn't the cylinder wall too thin to be structurally strong?
The crank's axle is subjected to stresses in the order of hundreds of kilograms. A 1-mm thick walled axle won't be strong enough in my opinion.

The crippled bike ended up being towed
Eat your heart out, Balboa!

Price: PhP6000
Technology: Hollowtech II, triple chainring, for 9-speed drive train, outboard bottom bracket
Weight: 850g (claimed) 
The Bottom Line: NOT RECOMMENDED for frequent users. The axle is weak and prone to breakage. Be careful on tightening the bolts on the axle. It may cause fatigue on the metal.

No comments: