Thursday, January 17, 2013

Your Ideal Weight

Happy 2013 to all, it has been quite a while since I posted an article in my blog. 
What better way to start of the year by asking ourselves: What should be our ideal weight? 
I researched on the topic and found a number of articles on the subject matter. But none had made a significant impact on me than the article from bicycling.com
From the article, one can determine the baseline ideal weight through this very simple formula: 

Men: 106 pounds for the first 5 feet of height plus 6 pounds for each additional inch. 

Women: 100 pounds for the first 5 feet of height plus 5 pounds for each additional inch.


In my case, for my height of 5'9", my baseline healthy weight should be 106 +9×6 = 160 lbs. 

My current weight is 178lbs. I need to shed 18 lbs.

The next question should be, how fast should I lose weight?
For me to lose 18lbs in 90 days, I need to regulate my calorie intake to around 1725 calories per day with the following assumptions: I do light exercise 1 to 3 days per week. I should not exceed my recommended caloric intake. 

Why should one lose weight? There could be a number of reasons, but for me, I need to lose weight because I need to maximize my pedal power, to climb faster, and to be able to live healthier in 2013 and beyond.

Happy 2013 everyone!

No comments: