Monday, August 12, 2013

Two Great Learning Institutions, Food tripping and Nostalgia Ride Out

I visited my parents in my hometown today. As always, I used my bike to get there. This morning, the sky is clear, perfect to ride out before Typhoon Labuyo kicks in.

Signal no 1 in Laguna this morning. The sky was clear though, perfect for riding out.

Taft Avenue - Near La Salle
Revisiting University of Santo Tomas
It has been XX number of years since I graduated in this University, it had been my home for the past 5 years. I said to myself, this could be a great time to revisit my alma mater.
Foot bridge - For five years, I have used this foot bridge to cross EspaƱa to catch a ride home
It's been a while, UST, nice to set foot on your hallowed grounds once more
Vanishing Point

I'm not thinking, my stomach hurts
There is an old superstition that while studying at the university, one should not pass under the arch until he graduates. If done so, an event will happen that will bar his graduation from the university.
Two icons of UST, Bishop Miguel de Benavides Statue and UST Main Building in the background
UST Park and Garden. Well sculpted, very conducive to walking and relaxing
Earth Tones - UST Park and Garden
Vanishing Point 2
Two decades ago, this used to be open courts, a canteen called the Place, and an Engineering/Architecture supply shop
Ye Olde Engineering Building. The place where today's engineers were forged.
We students of engineering were called...
"MigDanald's" inside UST?

Chick, hen, rooster?

Right across Engineering Building

Quezon Avenue - Ma Mon Luk
All the biking I did made me hungry as a crocodile (I know, it should've been a bear, but there are no bears in the Phils) I stopped by another familiar place, Ma Mon Luk Restaurant. I remember, in the past (don't ask how many years ago), my parents took us here to eat a bowl of mami. I do not eat siopao back then, but I do love the siomai. Ma Mon Luk developed and popularized mami in the Philippines. Hailing from China, this gentleman peddled chicken noodle soup. Word of his food soon spread that he opened shops, totaling 6 in its heyday. Alas, in the 21st Century, only 2 remained. Quiapo branch and this branch in Quezon Avenue.

Ma Mon Luk Resto - Quezon Avenue

If you are born in the '70s, chances are, you have tried this at least once. Mami, siopao and a glass of soda.
Photos of celebrities hung on the wall, this one is from the original baddie of Phil movies during its Silver age. Romy Diaz
Original Telephone hanging on the wall near the entrance

University of the Philippines Diliman
From Santo Tomas University, I now came to the premier State University, UP Diliman

Admit it, you posed like this when you were here
UP has bike lanes, they encourage carless sundays
Oblation redux
What a way to end my week.

Activity type: cycling
Description: -
Total distance: 57.46 km (35.7 mi)
Total time: 5:05:16
Moving time: 3:45:57
Average speed: 11.29 km/h (7.0 mi/h)
Average moving speed: 15.26 km/h (9.5 mi/h)
Max speed: 92.69 km/h (57.6 mi/h)
Average pace: 5.31 min/km (8.5 min/mi)
Average moving pace: 3.93 min/km (6.3 min/mi)
Fastest pace: 0.65 min/km (1.0 min/mi)
Max elevation: 129 m (422 ft)
Min elevation: -77 m (-252 ft)
Elevation gain: 1062 m (3485 ft)
Max grade: 46 %
Min grade: -30 %
Recorded: 8/11/2013 8:12am




Create Maps or search from 80 million at MapMyRide



No comments: