Thursday, September 25, 2014

Thank you for the Journey

Birthdays are abhorred by many, loved by some, and welcomed by none of the celebrants. It adds numbers to your age and as it increases, so does the magnitude of reality that time is running out. It was as if only yesterday that I was 24 years old, a new engineer in a Japanese multinational firm. Very naïve, idealistic and determined to be a millionaire at 40. I hatched up plans to earn and save money. Dreaming and scheming on how to achieve that 'Plan'.
But alas, after two decades, a bike accident, several jobs, and multiple global financial crises later, I've not achieved that elusive Millionaire status.
So I decided not to focus on becoming a Millionaire, but instead to search for something more meaningful than accumulating financial wealth.
Don't get me wrong, I do not hate money nor do I love it. I view it as a mere tool to achieve my goal.
And my goal? To help preserve this planet not only for my kid bit also for the children of other parents.
In my youth, like any green horn, I defined success as having the biggest house, the most expensive car and the most amount of money in my bank account. Who wouldn't want it? Like everyone who dreams of such things, we set out to earn much. Working for companies, working for ourselves through business. Some resort to illegal activities to fast track the 'dream'
But as the years go by, I watched in frustration how painful it was and how unachievable financial wealth could be if you only worked honestly. I am not the kind of person who would resort to illegal means just to achieve financial wealth. I saw friends and relatives die, unable to take wealth with them. I felt awful inside. What if I'm chasing the wrong goal? What if there's something more worth achieving for?
Then I started chasing a different kind of wealth, the one thing that is more important than money. And that is the sustainability of life.
What would benefit you and your future generation if the means today of accumulating money would destroy this planet eventually?
I started caring for the environment. I chose a different path to wealth, I chose sustainable living.
As I embark in the last half of my short journey in life, I ask you to do the same, stop joining the rat race and start living a sustainable life.

No comments: